By Dr. Abdulkarim Bashar and Dr. Kamran Hajabdo
Presentation at 24th Annual Conference Kurdish National Congress of North America
Since March15, 2011 Syrians have been offering the epic peaceful revolution to end the tyranny of the rule of the totalitarian regime, and to build democratic, pluralistic Syria where the religions and its sects are respected. Despite, the huge number of martyrs, wounded people, prisoners, displaced people, and economic losses, the regime still betting on dealing with the peaceful revolution by using its security forces and military, and towards country into chaos and violence. Therefore, the Kurdish National Council think the situation is threatening in Syria and it is on serious risks, if they don’t find a comprehensive vision for a solution that would unify the efforts to develop the base to preserve the civilian peace, the unity of society, and establish a democratic system to meet the aspiration of all Syrian people.
Through these conditions, the Kurdish National Council has derived its vision, future decisions, and recommendations in order to reach a clear program to achieve democratic changes and in believes that Kurds are one of pillars and props to get ride of tyranny and achieve the goals of revolution in building modern Syria with no place of oppression, injustice and cruelty. The Kurdish National Council has approved the following values approach to work in order to reach a common understanding with other powers on the future of Syria, and how to solve the Kurdish cause after toppling the existing system at the level of state and society:
- National Council confirms that the Kurds in Syria represents the broader categories of the Kurdish people in Syria. This applies to their aspirations and seeks to document and strengthen relations with those Kurdish forces that remaining outside the council in order to unify the speech and defend the Kurdish rights, and achieve the goal of the Syrian revolution.
- Emphasis on the independence of the decision of the national forces of opposition and protect interactions of some regional powers that may be affected by the system come up with a democratic, and pluralistic which could be reflected on their internal issues.
- Emphasis on the importance of the peaceful revolution, and to accuse the Syrian regime of the consequences of the current situation of armed confrontations between the security forces and army on one hand, on other hand between army and defectors from the military.
- Syria is a state and democratic, multi-ethnic, religious communities committed to a parliamentary system of international convention on human rights principals and adopt the principals of equal citizenship and the rule of low and draw a policy to achieve the higher interest of the Syrian people and preserve the unity and security.
- The constitutional recognition of the existence of the Kurdish people and its national identity in Syria. Consider the Kurdish language an official language in the country and the legitimate national rights as a key partner in accordance with international norms and conventions. The political decentralization and secular state will be the guarantee for all Syrian minorities.
- The Kurdish people in Syria are part of the Syrian people, and it constitutes a fundamental national authentic in the country. More, The Kurdish national movement is part of the national democratic movement and one of mobilizes of the Syrian revolution.
- Cancel all policies, procedures, decrees, and laws applicable to discriminations against Kurdish people and remove their effects, implications, and compensate those affected victims. Restore the situation to what it was before those proceedings.
- Guarantee the freedom of religions, faith, creeds, and preserve it constitutionally
- Achieve equality between men and women, and ensure their rights. Constitutional abolition of all laws that impede their freedom, progress, maternal, and childhood.
- A commitment to fight poverty and give areas that have suffered from discriminatory policies adequate attention in the framework of development and the achievement of justice in the distribution of national wealth. Work to raise the capabilities and standard of living of citizen of all segments, religions, and especially in the Kurdish areas that have suffered persecution and deprivation during the successive regimes.
- Renounce violence and respect of all covenants and international charters and principles of human rights. Neutralize the army and security policy and the adoption of decentralization in the State in order to achieve sustainable and balanced development. New administrative divisions take into account that preserves the interest of regions concerned. Identify specific percentage of the proceeds of the disposal of resources of each province to set up the infrastructure and development projects there.
- Ensure the national rights of Keldo-Ashore, Syriac, and other minorities in the country.